Hazardous Materials First Responder Operational
Click on the following classes for more information
The purpose of the Hazardous Materials First Responder Operational course is to provide participants with an improved capability to respond to hazardous material events in a safe and competent manner, within the typical resource and capability limitations at the operational level.
The first responder at the operational level is trained to respond in a defensive fashion without actually trying to stop a hazardous material release. Their function is to contain a release from a safe distance, keep it from spreading, and prevent exposures. The first responder may be the support portion of an in-house response team, firefighters or other off-site response personnel.
- Introduction to Hazardous Materials at the First Responder Operational Level
- Recognition and Safety of Hazardous Materials
- Safety, Isolation and Notification
- Introduction to Scene Management
- Action Planning
- Personal Protection Equipment and the Limitation of the First Responder
- Containment and Protective Actions
- Decontamination, Disposal, and Documentation
- Outside Agency Coordination
- Pre-event Specific Planning
- The process for a safe and competent hazardous materials response
- First Responder Exercise Briefing
- Exercise and Critique
- Hazardous Materials Legal Aspects
Training shall be based on the duties and functions to be performed by each responder in an emergency response organization. The skill and knowledge levels required for all responders shall be conveyed to them through training before they are permitted to take part in actual emergency operations on an incident. Employees who participate, or are expected to participate, in emergency response, shall be given training in accordance with 29CFR- 1910.120(q)(6)(iii) [CalOSHA is 8CCR§5192(q)(6)(C)].
At the conclusion of this safety course the student may receive state certification for the First Responder Operational course through the California Specialized Training Institute(CSTI). There is an additional charge of $10.00 per student for the certificate.